Tips to Making Pizza at Home
At Spizzico’s, we believe that there is never a bad time for making pizza. We also understand that it’s not always convenient to enjoy a fresh, hot pie at our restaurant or stop on your way home from work to pick one up. So when the craving for pizza takes over your household, we encourage you to experience the joy of making one (or several) yourself. Here are some of our tips for doing so.
Unconventional Pizza Crusts
Making pizza at home allows you to put your own twist on an age-old family favorite. So why not leave traditional pizza crusts to your local pizzeria and try something new? These days, it seems like you can make pizza crust out of almost anything. Here are two unique ideas to consider:
- Cauliflower Crust- This gluten-free crust is delicious and the whole family is sure to love it. To begin, simply combine ground cauliflower, spices, and a few other ingredients, then spread the dough across a pan and bake it in the oven at 475ºF for about 15 minutes. After that, it’s ready for your favorite toppings.
- Mini Zucchini Pizzas- Ditch the crust idea altogether, as zucchini slices make a fantastic base for any pizza. Simply slice up your zucchini, remove the moisture and add toppings. Bake until your mini pizzas turn golden brown and enjoy!
Making pizza at home is a great excuse to go all out and even create a pie from scratch. That being said, when the mood strikes and you’re feeling inspired in the kitchen, it helps to have what you need readily on hand. A round or square pan is a great place to start. But, before you go all out making pizza from scratch, don’t forget these essentials recommended by our pizza professionals:
- Olive oil
- Tomato sauce
- Flour of choice
- Active dry yeast
- Pizza wheel for cutting
- Your favorite vegetables, meats, and other toppings
- Salt, pepper, and Italian spices like basil and oregano
- A variety of cheeses such as mozzarella, parmesan, fontina, and feta
Get the Kids Involved
Anytime you have the opportunity to cook a meal for the family, it’s always fun to involve the kids – especially when it comes to making pizza. Parents everywhere love Waffle Pizzas, which are quick and easy and give the young ones a chance to get creative. Follow these steps to a tasty pizza:
- Defrost frozen waffles from the store, or make your own using a waffle iron.
- Preheat your oven to 425ºF.
- Lay out the following ingredients in an assembly line fashion:
- Tomato sauce
- Shredded cheeses of choice
- Your favorite toppings such as pepperoni, vegetables and more
- Help the kids spread tomato sauce over their waffles, which will serve as the crust.
- Allow the children to place their toppings over the sauce-covered waffles.
- Sprinkle cheese over the toppings.
- Place waffles on a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted.
Pizza Night at Spizzico’s
When it comes to baking your own pizza, you’ll be sure to impress your family and friends! However, if homemade Italian food isn’t an option, Spizzico Italian Kitchen is here to save the meal. We offer over a dozen varieties of handcrafted 12” and 16” pies, from classic Tomato Pie to refreshing specialties. Visit us today at 1282 Bay Dale Drive in Arnold, Maryland. Or, call us to place your order for pickup at 443-214-5121.